Discuss Wrongful Termination with an Employee Law Attorney in Northampton, MA

If you’ve been terminated from a job but you feel it was in violation of the law, you may be able to file a wrongful termination lawsuit. However, it can be difficult to prove your case in an “at-will” employment state such as Massachusetts. There are some steps you can take once you have been terminated before consulting an attorney.

Talk to Employer

Usually when you’re terminated from a job, it is done in private with a supervisor. Although this conservation can be hard to have, especially if you feel you were terminated unjustly, keep your head about you and ask why you were terminated. Try to take notes so that if you do need to consult an employee law attorney in Northampton, MA, you’ll have some information to give him or her about the reasons that your former employer terminated you.

Ask About Records

Ask to see your personnel file and ask for copies of all the records in it. While they don’t have to legally do this, an employer may at least let you see the file. If they won’t make copies of the paperwork in the file, try to take notes and show them to an employee law attorney. If you don’t get to see the file, your attorney may subpoena it so that he or she can examine the contents.

Write down information such as the names and contact information of everyone involved in your termination. Also, write down the names of employees who performed their jobs similarly to you but were not terminated.

This information could help an employee law attorney at the firm of Connor Morneau & Olin LLP start investigating or settle a claim of wrongful termination. If you have a case, one of their attorneys may be able to help you get your job back or receive a nice severance package.